This healthy all-year-round salad is packed with flavour and a great way to get kids to try new vegetables.
Ingredients: Serves two
75g cooked medium noodles, tossed in a little soy sauce and oil
Dressing: 1 dessertspoon (8ml) rapeseed oil, 1 tbsp (10ml) rice vinegar, 1 dessertspoon (10ml) hoisin sauce (*contains sesame), 1 tsp (5ml) soy sauce
2 tsp (5g) chopped ginger, small clove crushed garlic, a few chilli flakes (optional)
Vegetables: 1 small carrot , a few sugar snap peas, 2 baby corn, 1 spring onion, 30g red cabbage, 30g beansprouts, 2-3 pink radishes, about 10 fresh mint leaves, toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- For the dressing: Measure out the oil, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce (*contains sesame seeds) and soy sauce straight into your going home container. Add 1 tsp crushed ginger, half a clove of crushed garlic and large pinch tsp chopped chillies (teacher to help you). Whisk the dressing in your bowl.
- For the vegetables: (Careful! Adult assistance needed here), prepare each as shown by your teacher and add straight into your container as you go
- Peel the carrot, and then cut into matchstick strips (!get your teacher to watch you).
- Cut the sugar snaps lengthways and the baby corn into rounds
- Cut the red cabbage into matchsticks
- Slice the spring onion and radish very finely
- Add the beansprouts
- Tear in a about ten mint leaves
- Chop the noodles lengthways into 4 and add
- Mix your salad together and taste for seasoning
- Your salad is ready to eat – well done! Eat with chopsticks!